StoryNews needs champions. Part-time volunteers who are willing to champion our mission of getting us all—regardless of background or view—to the heart of why we see things the way we do, and to glimpse each other’s worldviews for the sake of understanding and more open dialogues, both personally and globally. And to work five remote and flexible hours a week with the occasional IRL meeting in Chicago so that we can not only fulfill our mission but also get to the point where we can pay our staff and contributors.
Section EditorsClick here to see more or less
Working closely with senior editors, you’ll read, judge, and polish incoming submissions that fall under one of your sections, providing updates and (when necessary) editorial guidance to writers and artists. We’ve grouped our sections into three categories:
IDENTITY. Responsible for Family & Communities and Religion & Spirituality. We need someone who’s interested in people—not just semantics. Someone knowledgeable about the history of different identity communities, informed about the debates currently unfolding within and among those communities, and genuinely interested in learning about communities with which they may not be familiar.
INDUSTRY. Responsible for Arts & Entertainment; Money & Business; Health, Science, & Technology; and Sports. We need someone who’s an information broker at heart. Someone who knows a little bit of everything when it comes to what humans make and trade, and can switch from discussing Star Wars fan reactions to the Stock Market, and from parsing the president’s latest Tweet to dissecting this year’s bestselling novels.
CIVICS. Responsible for Politics & Government. We need someone who’s sought out by friends and family for political briefings, who closely follows major stories and actors, and is conscious of both global and local events as well as public reactions to political action. Someone who’s got a mean Fake News detector, no matter the source.
- Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Rigorous editing, fact-checking, and proofreading standards
- Ability to manage and motivate writers to do their best work
- Knack for generating engaging story ideas and prompts
- A critical eye and a diplomatic tongue, knowing what’s wrong with a piece and having ideas about how to fix it as well as the gentle charm to effectively convey these ideas to even the most sensitive writers
- A degree in Creative Writing, Journalism, English, or any related field is a plus—but not a hard requirement. We care a lot more about what you can do.
Send your résumé with a brief cover letter introducing yourself, and explaining what excites you about StoryNews and why you’re right for the position in question to email@example.com.
Advertising Sales RepresentativeClick here to see more or less
We need a driven, affable, and professional Advertising Sales Representative who’ll sell both digital and print ads to help us fulfill our mission and pay our staff and contributors. Since we’re new, that’ll mean building a client base from scratch, undertaking targeted advertising campaigns to establish solid and long-term relationships with advertisers. The ideal candidate will not only draw the advertisers who’ll benefit from their investment, but also assist them with basic ad layout and design, develop spec ads when helpful, and manage the sales cycle from prospecting to closing, keeping records and organizing client correspondences.
- A warm, welcoming, socially perceptive personality.
- Patience and persistence for unsure clients who need to be persuaded over time.
- Strong media math skills and an understanding of industry research tools and metrics.
- Organizational skills to keep track of multiple accounts and advertising schedules.
- Proficiency with software for basic ad layout and design
- Experience and/or education in public relations, advertising, or related fields is a plus—but not a hard requirement. Other life experiences and special skills may qualify you for this challenge.
Send your résumé with a brief cover letter introducing yourself, sharing what excites you about StoryNews, and explaining why you’re right for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.